Beat That Cold!

January 21, 2015


When I think of January (and winter in general), I think of colds, sneezing, coughing, and just generally feeling like poop.

I woke up this new year with a pounding headache, painful throat and a persistent and annoying cough. No, I hadn't been drinking (!), I just came down with the flu. After plenty of bed rest, fluids and painkillers, I'm just now starting to feel better!

Which is why I've decided to share my tips for anyone out there struggling to overcome any flu or flu-like symptoms this winter.

1: Fluids!
Drink anything! Anything and everything. I would recommend water first and foremost, but orange juice would work very well, too. I wouldn't use this as an excuse to drink plenty of caffeinated drinks. It seems like a given, as you're bound to feel tired and groggy, but avoid those as much as possible! The short buzz you'll feel won't last for very long, and you'll end up feeling worse than before. So, try to stay hydrated with plenty of water and orange juice.

2. Warm baths.
I'm more of a shower person, but whenever I'm ill, I take that time to indulge myself in a nice warm bath. It's also times like this I wish I had some baths bombs to soak in for a long time! Baths can help with any achy feelings, which I usually get across my back and torso from all the coughing. I'd lie in there for a long time, a couple times a day, to give your muscles time to unwind and relax. Ahhh.

3. Honey, Lemon, and Ginger.
Sometimes, the traditional methods are the ones that work best. And devouring as much honey and lemon based things are just the way forward. This does coincide with the 'Fluids', but truly deserves some separate appreciation. Firstly, you can make a tea. Just boil some water and pour it over your teabag of choice (this was usually green tea for me!), and go to town with the honey and lemon. Put as much as you want, bundle up and drink it up! Next: ginger tea. This is similar to the previous one, but there is no teabag involved here. Grate some ginger over your cup to release some of the juices. Pour over boiling water, and stir in the honey and lemon. This is especially good if you have a tickly cough. Finally, the last drink involves garlic. Cut some ginger and garlic into very small pieces. Pour over some hot water (about half a cup-full) and let it boil away in a small pot for about fifteen minutes. Strain the pieces, add honey and lemon to the cup of liquid goodness, and you're all set!

4. Sleep.
Resting is so important if you're not feeling 100%. I love sleep anyway, but it's even more welcomed when I'm ill. Try to get 7-10 hours of sleep every night, and maybe sneak in a couple of naps during the day. When you wake up, you'll feel so much better, trust me! 

5. Nasal Sprays
These are so good if you're having breathing problems, especially at night. I get blocked noses a lot, and it gets solved easily with a simple spray! I also use those sticks of menthol if I'm not feeling up to spraying into my nose.


Those are my 5 best tips in helping you beat any cold you get this winter!

Thanks, and I'll see you in the next one!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for checking out this post!